Release date: April 3, 2017 . . .
Food & Provisions of the Mountain Men
A Guide to Authentic Provisions
of Fur Trappers, Traders and
Explorers in the Early American West
April 3, 2017, paying homage to William H. Ashley, who on April 3, 1822, left St. Louis, leading the first of several trapping expeditions up the Missouri River. In 1825, he led a pack train carrying provisions and trade goods to the Rocky Mountains, thus initiating the annual rendezvous that
we re-enact today.
Read the news release: What did Rocky Mountain fur trappers eat? Not tofu, nor kale wraps
Buy the Book
About the Book
Food & Provisions of the Mountain Men is a guide to historically accurate food and provisions of the fur trappers, traders, and explorers who went to the Rocky Mountains in search of the precious beaver fur and other opportunities.
The author created this guide for those who participate in re-enactments of mountain man rendezvous and historical encampments. It's also for anyone interested in the lifestyles and hardships endured by these mountain men at a time when beaver fur was worth more than gold.
This third edition has been expanded to 80 pages and features a color cover, three additional chapters, news recipes, and more than 50 illustrations.
Use this guide to make your rendezvous larder and meals historically authentic.
Good eatin’ and keep yer flour dry. Wagh!
- Mountain Man Food Groups
- Recipes for buffalo tongue and hump ribs, dried meat, flour soup, sausage, pemmican and more
- Beverages (including metheglin)
- Parched Corn
- Friar’s Fry Bread
- Bread on a Stick
- Portable Soup
- Flour Pudding
- Strike a Fire
- Fur Company Provisions
- First-hand accounts from people who were there
- More than 50 photos and illustrations, including paintings by Alfred Jacob Miller, who attended the 1837 rendezvous
- Title: Food & Provisions of the Mountain Men: A Guide to Authentic Provisions of Fur Trappers, Traders and Explorers in the Early American West (3rd Edition)
- Author: Larry M. “Friar” Edwards, award-winning author and editor
- Publisher: Wigeon Publishing, San Diego, CA
- Format: trade paperback (5.5x8.5)
- ISBN: 978-0-9859728-0-6
- Library of Congress Control Number: 2017905064
- BISAC Category: HIS036040: HISTORY/United States/19th Century
- Pages: 80
- Price: $9.95
- Release date: April 3, 2017
For for additional information or to get on the mailing list, contact: